Crispy Tuna Cakes with a spicy remoulade sauce.
- 2 – 7 oz cans Albacore Tuna in Water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons old bay spice
In a large fry pan sauté the chopped onions and celery in the oil for about 2 minutes until just crisp. Lift out with a slotted spoon (this is the pan you will be cooking your cakes in.) Remove this pan from heat until you are ready to cook the cakes.
Coarsely crush the saltine crackers. Don’t overdo as it’s the larger pieces of crackers that create a delicious crunchy crust on the cakes.
Drain the tuna fish well and add to bowl, stir in the sauteed veggies and the remaining ingredients. Mix gently – do not over mix as you want the crackers not to crush too much.
Heat your pan to medium high. Hand-form half of the mix into 4 cakes and fry until until browned, flip and finish browning. Form the remaining 4 cakes and add a little oil to the pan if needed – complete your cooking. Serve with lemon wedges and remoulade sauce.
If you don’t have old bay spice you can find a recipe online to make it. Serves 4