Last week was my spring break and I spent it soaking up some family time in Chicago with my mom and sisters. We had so much fun! But, I realized that “spring” in Chicago is very different than “spring” in Northern California.
It was quite chilly and windy and we were wearing coats everywhere we went. The really funny thing was, as soon as it got up past 50 degrees, all these crazy people in shorts came out! It was like shorts, sun dresses, and tank tops everywhere! I couldn’t believe it! I guess they had spent a very long winter in sweaters and coats and they are ready to change up the wardrobe, but geeze! At 50 degrees I’m still in a parka! (Ok, I’m a bit of a wuss).
So, basically what I’m trying to say is, here’s something for those of you that think that spring means 50 degrees and windy
This pea soup couldn’t be easier, or more delicious! It requires just a few ingredients and a bit of time to bring together.
The secret ingredient that brings this soup from “yum” to “OHMYGOSHTHATSGREAT” is a teeny bit of truffle oil. A little of this stuff goes a long way so I suggest getting a small bottle of the good stuff rather than a big bottle of the ok-but-not-great stuff.
After sautéing the garlic and onions, just add the peas, straight from the freezer. Couldn’t be easier!
Toss in some chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make a totally vegetarian dish) and let cook for about 20 minutes. Then blend it up in the blender until you have a smooth, silky, soup you’ll enjoy no matter what climate you’re in.
The great thing about this soup is it is perfect for the season if your spring is 70 and sunny and you can buy fresh peas in the farmer’s market and have a bowl on your porch, but it’s also perfect if your spring is 50 and windy and need something to warm you up after your chilly walk home.
So make up a batch asap! I think I might have to go back to Chicago just to prove my point! Enjoy!
Truffled Pea Soup
- 1 16 oz bag frozen peas or 2 1/2 cups fresh peas (shelled)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (homemade if you have it!)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- white truffle oil for drizzling (white truffle oil)
- Preheat a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and tarragon. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender in batches and blend until smooth. Make sure to remove the top circle of the blender so that steam can escape.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a drizzle (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) of white truffle oil.