In some crazy sleep deprived fog I foolishly decided to give up sweets for lent. I don’t know what I was thinking. It’s been several days and already the gummy sour bunnies that live in the center console of my car are screaming my name. I’m already planning my Easter basket. It’s going to be epic.
But just because I’m unhappy, doesn’t mean you have to be. You can make these Tasty Raspberry Crumb Bars. Please make them, for those of us who cannot.
This recipe is really simple and can be easily tweaked. If you’d prefer blueberry or strawberry jam you can easily substitute. I also use this amazing granola in the topping, but if you don’t have some readily made (or you ate it all last night) you can use a good store bought brand.
The shortbread crust is buttery, yet somehow light, and the fruity jam and nutty granola combine for the perfect bite.
I made these for the first time for a meeting of my moms group. There are about nine of us moms who have babies around the same age and we try to get together once a week for play dates. It’s so much fun to get the babies together and watch them interact. But the best part is, we always have dessert.
It’s awesome. Once a week you can look forward to dessert (and a glass of wine!) in the middle of the day. It’s pretty great. In fact, I’ve thought seriously about being one of the people who nurses their kid until they are like, a tween, just so I can continue to use the excuse, “I’m breastfeeding” when eating my second bar. And also use it an excuse when I take tiny slivers out of a third slice until I’ve basically eaten the whole thing. Don’t worry, if you’re not nursing there are plenty of other reasons to eat these delicious, crumbly bars….”Having friends over for dinner!” “Just finished the laundry!” ”It’s Tuesday!” …you get the idea.
I’ll be thinking of those tiny slivers for the next 38 days…but who’s counting?
Tasty Raspberry Crumble Bars
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 -1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces raspberry jam (I like the kind with seeds) or use this….
- 1 cup Coconut Maple Granola (or store bought granola without dried fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed just until combined. With the mixer on low, add the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and salt together and, with the mixer on low, slowly add to the butter mixture, mixing until it almost comes together in a ball. Turn the dough out on a board. Lightly pat two-thirds of the dough evenly on the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan and about 1/4-inch up the sides. Spread with the jam, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Mix the granola into the remaining dough with your hands. Break the dough into small bits and distribute it on top of the jam, covering most of the surface. Bake the bars for 45 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool completely and cut into 9 or 12 bars.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten