This mango chutney chicken salad holds a special place in my heart. It was one of my first culinary creations…well, sort of.
You see, the restaurant my family used to go to all the time had a mango chicken sandwich on the menu. I loved the sandwich, but one day when I was about 12 I decided I wanted a salad. None of the salads on the menu looked good to me, but I looooved that sandwich so my culinary wheels started turning.
I asked the waitress if I could have the mango chicken sandwich as a salad. She said, “no problem!” and brought me the salad. Little did I know that was just the beginning…the salad was amazing, even better than the sandwich!
So, I started ordering the sandwich as a salad all the time, and wouldn’t you know it, other people started asking about it. Pretty soon, they put the salad on the menu. Disappointingly, they didn’t call it “Tara’s Salad,” but I was still pretty impressed with myself. I had an idea and people liked it! I’ve been trying to achieve the same thing ever since! 🙂
Another victory for this salad? My husband said it was one of the best salads he has ever had.
It’s light, but filling enough for dinner. It’s has great texture, and a sweet/spicy/fresh combo thing going on that’s to die for. I should know…I basically invented it. 😉 Enjoy!!!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
- salt and pepper
- mixed greens
- Fill a medium sized pot with water, add chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken by hand or with two forks.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, mango, celery, red onion, yogurt, and chutney. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange mixed greens on a plate. Squeeze about 1 teaspoon lemon juice over greens. Top with prepared chicken salad.