We love our sweet potatoes in the Carolinas, and our pork! I always save my bacon fat for cooking but by all means substitute another fat in the recipe below. To me a little extra bacon flavoring is always welcome thus the bacon crumble garnishing too!
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups apple cider
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Dash nutmeg
- Bacon crumbles to garnish
Yield: 6 cups
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes into 1/2″ sized chunks.
- Boil in salted water until soft.
- In a stock pot saute the onion and garlic in the bacon fat until softened.
- Add the potatoes and remaining ingredients except for the bacon crumbles.
- Cook over medium high to meld flavors, mashing with a potato masher to create a soup consistency.
- Using a blender/processor puree to make smooth after cooking.
- Garnish with bacon crumbles if desired.