Strawberry Donuts with Strawberry Sugar? These delicious, baked strawberry donuts are a great treat to make, even for a busy new mom.
I’m baaaaaaaaack! Hey guys! Remember me? I’m the one who abandoned you and left you recipe-less for the past 7 months.I’m sorry, I really am, but I have a good excuse! I gave birth to the most beautiful, perfect, amazing little boy in the whole world and I have been spending every waking (and there have been a lot!) moment staring at him, playing with him, and planting so many kisses on him I have perma-chapped lips.
So, I’ve let other things slip. I constantly have a pile of laundry that isn’t done. Ponytails are my best friend. Don’t even get me started on how much spit up I let cover my shirt before I consider it “dirty.” And, I haven’t really been keeping up with things in the kitchen – all I can say is thank goodness for Trader Joe’s and the Thai place down the street! But, all that is about to change – it’s about time don’t you think? I know my husband does – no matter how hard I try I can’t get him to consider cereal dinner.
It’s Valentine’s Day and I have a whole lotta love this year. More than ever. So, I need something to show that love. Clearly, the answer here is doughnuts.
Strawberry baked donuts with strawberry sugar. If that doesn’t sound like love I don’t know what does! These donuts are light and airy, sweet and sugary, and in true SSB fashion – “healthified” (only 2 tablespoons butter?!) so you can have one for breakfast AND dessert
I was racking my brain to come up with the perfect Valentine’s Day recipe. I knew I wanted something sweet, and I couldn’t get donuts off my mind…but how could I make them Valentine-y? That’s when it hit me – strawberry sugar. And the secret to this amazing pink stuff is…freeze dried strawberries. You can get them in the grocery store, usually with the dried fruit, or, if you happen to have a box of Special K Red Berries lying around the house, get diggin.
The perk to this method is that you get to snack while you are picking out the berries! However you do it, you need about a half cup. Set them aside for later and get cooking.
Whisk dry ingredients together and in a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients except strawberry jam. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until moistened. Then, stir in the strawberry jam. The strawberry jam is your secret weapon in this batter. It adds a little color, a little sweetness, and lots of strawberry flavor. If you are lucky enough to have your mom’s homemade strawberry jam in your fridge, complete with chunks of strawberries mixed in, I highly suggest using it If not, any store bought brand will work!
You do need a donut pan for this recipe. I got mine on Amazon and it has been well worth the few bucks I spent. The best way I’ve found to get the batter in without making a huge mess is a good old ziplock bag. Just snip off a corner and pipe away.
After you finish baking these pillow-like cakes, it’s time to set up your decoration station. Sugar. Butter. Donuts.
Make sure the donuts have cooled slightly or they will absorb too much butter (although some may not think that is a bad thing!) and the strawberry sugar will melt right on and turn red. It probably will do a bit of this anyway so I suggest second dusting with a spoon or if you want to get really fancy, a powdered sugar shaker.
Make these for the ones you love. Make them for your coworkers. Make them for your kids. Make them for yourself. Just make them! ‘
So happy to be back. Enjoy!!
Baked Strawberry Donuts with Strawberry Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- For strawberry sugar:
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnut pans with baking spray.
- Into a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in strawberry jam.
- Fill donut pans almost to the top. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a cutting board.
- For the topping, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in shallow bowl. To make the strawberry sugar, combine sugar and freeze dried strawberries in a food processor and process until a fine sand is created. Pour into a shallow bowl. Dip each doughnut first in the butter and then in the strawberry sugar, either on one side or both sides.