“Fra Diavalo” which literally means “devil brother” is a popular sauce often used with seafood. The “devil” in this case is a little heat courtesy of the use of some black and red pepper. I would consider this only moderately spicy since we are, frankly, pretty wimpy about spicy food in our household. If you are bolder then go ahead and take it up a notch! Either way this shrimp pizza is sure to please the seafood lover in your home.
- 2 14 ½ ounce cans whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 ½ cups shrimp, unshelled, uncooked
- 1 12” thin pizza crust
- ½ pound mozzarella, shredded
- In a large skillet empty the two cans of tomatoes and their juice.
- Slice them into small chunks and add the onion, garlic, Italian parsley, salt and peppers.
- Heat over medium-high until the sauce is thick.
- Add the washed but unshelled shrimp and cook 10-12 minutes longer.
- Cut off the heat and remove the shrimp to de-shell.
- Cut the larger shrimp into several small pieces.
- Spread the sauce on a store-bought 12” thin pizza crust.
- Top with the shrimp and then the mozzarella.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-14 minutes.