Hearty vegetable soup warms the soul!
- 2 Onions, quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 28 ounces canned, diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup barley
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks sliced celery
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Mix together drained tomatoes, chopped onions and chopped garlic on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss the vegetables to distribute the oil. Roast for 25 minutes in the oven.
- In the meantime bring reserved tomato juice and chicken broth to a boil in a soup pot, add barley and reduce heat to simmer.
- When tomato mix is nicely roasted add to the broth and barley then add the celery and simmer on low until celery is just tender, about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The barley will continue to absorb liquid after cooling, you can add additional chicken broth as desired. Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
This soup is better the second day as flavors have a chance to meld. Great comfort food!