If you love a loaded baked potato, this is the soup for you! It is the easiest, creamiest most delicious soup. The Husband and I loved it. Grab a big bowl and dig in!
- 4 baking potatoes (ends up to be about 3 cups of potatoes)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Bake the potatoes in your microwave until soft. Let them cool for a few minutes and then slice open and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pan (I use my Dutch oven) over medium low heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour the milk in stirring constantly. Pour in the chicken broth. Continue to stir. Bring the heat up to medium. Keep stirring until the mixture is thickened.
- Add the potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, bacon and cheese. Stir until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly. (You will have potato lumps in the soup. This is what you want). Keep stirring and heat through for about 15 minutes. At this point, stir in the sour cream until well blended. Serve immediately.Serves 6
Note: You might want to make an extra slice or two of bacon and have some more shredded cheese on hand to garnish your bowl of yummy soup!