I had always been curious about portobello “burgers” on menus but didn’t want to order one out when there were less healthy (ie: more tempting) items on the menu. Wow! This mushroom rocks.
In an effort to be healthy I didn’t serve this with any mayonnaise or spreads especially since the flavors and moistness needed no help!
Portobello Spinach Burgers
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 rolls or sandwich pockets
- Mix the first 4 ingredients.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and lay in a dish, smooth side down.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps and let sit 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet on med-high. Spray with oil and add onion.
- Cook until onion is soft and light brown. Remove onion and reserve.
- Spray with oil again and add spinach
- Cover and cook 3-4 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove and reserve.
- Wipe out skillet and spray with oil.
- Add mushrooms smooth side up and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove mushrooms and top smooth side with 1 piece of cheese each.
- Assemble “burgers” by layering from the bottom up: ¼ of spinach, a mushroom, ¼ of the onion and the top roll piece.