Make this soft homemade bread made with mashed potatoes and you won’t want store bought again.
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 whole egg
- 5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flour for kneading
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 cup of flour. In a separate bowl measure out remaining flour.
- In a medium saucepan, add mashed potatoes, water, heavy cream, milk, and margarine. Heat to about 120 degrees.
- Add 1 cup of liquid to yeast mixture. Mix on medium speed (with mixer) or thoroughly by hand until well blended. Alternate remaining flour and liquid to yeast mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Beat in egg. When dough starts to pull from the sides of the bowl remove and place on floured surface.
- Knead dough for approximately 5 – 8 minutes. Form into a ball and place in a large greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- Once dough has doubled, remove from the bowl, punch down and turn on lightly floured surface. Cut and and shape into desired sized loaves.
- Place dough into greased pans. Let rise until nearly doubled. Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until bread is hollow when tapped and light golden brown. Brush with margarine after removing from oven. Cool slightly in pans before removing.
*Tip – I cooked 4 medium potatoes which yielded 1 1/2 cups mashed. In a pinch you can use instant mashed potatoes.