Sinful, deep fried little things. They remind me of my childhood days – eating Captain D’s addictive hush-puppies and batter fried fish with tons lemon juice and tarter sauce. I haven’t had that in years. I think maybe my arteries plead with me anytime I get a craving for it.
But, as sinful as these are, they have crab meat in them! Good for you, right? Oh, aaannnddd jalapenos – technically a vegetable!
Right? See what I do for you; it’s your protein, grain and a veggie serving all wrapped into one little bite.
These are the bomb – they have a tiny bite from the jalapeno, seafoody-ness from the crab and a hint of sharpness from the Parmesan. So. Good. I dipped them in traditional tarter sauce.
I could drink that stuff.
Jalapeno Crab Fritters
- 1 batch cornbread mix (I used White Lilly Cornbread mix – the recipe is on the back of the bag)
- 2 fresh jalapenos, washed and diced
- 1 1/2 cups crab meat, diced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 5 cups canola oil
- Mix cornbread ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine everything else with the batter thoroughly and refrigerate until ready to fry.
- Heat oil a large dutch oven to 350.
- Add the batter by a heaping tablespoon at a time, holding it firm with your fingers to keep the ball of cornmeal mix together while you drop it in.
- Fry for about 30-45 seconds and toss it with a large spoon so it evenly browns.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
These would be fantastic with some grilled fish and and a big, fat Greek salad with lots of feta cheese.
Please excuse my retarded looking, manicure-less hand. I wanted you to see a nice close up. I care that much, damnit.
God, I need a tan. And a manicure. Did I already mention that?