Torn tortilla, eggs and tons of veggies = One fancy meal
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 leaves curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon spicy red chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tomatoes – chopped
- 1 cup onions – chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper – chopped
- 1 cup carrot – chopped
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole whole wheat tortillas – cut into cubes
- 2 whole eggs – beaten
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped
- 1 whole lemon – juice
- 2 cups non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 whole serrano peppers
- 20 leaves mint leaves – chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper corns
TORTILLAS STIR FRY
1. Heat a large saucepan. Once the oil ripples, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Throw in the curry leaves and let it crisp, about 60 seconds. Cook at medium flame. Don’t burn the condiments.
2. Then add the onions and let it brown, about 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle the turmeric, chilli and coriander powder and saute for 2-3 minutes. If its too dry, add a tablespoon of water. This prevents the spices from burning. Add soy sauce and saute for 60 seconds.
3. Now add the tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy, about 3-5 minutes. Finally add the carrots, peas and bell peppers and stir to combine. Add little more water and cook covered for 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye and stir every 5 minutes. Check by tasting one piece to see if it is done
4. Sprinkle garam masala and mix well to combine. The vegetable mix must not be too runny or watery. We want it to be dry with little sauce in it.
5. Add the tortilla and cook for 2 minutes until they are coated well with spices and veggies. Then break the eggs and stir to scramble. Cook without turning the dish into a pulp or mushy. Carefully fold the tortilla over the eggs and let it cook.
6. Garnish with cilantro and squeeze lemon juice on top.
1. Combine yogurt, serrano peppers, mint leaves, salt and pepper and whisk to a smooth raita. Check for salt before serving.
Serve the tortilla stir fry with mint raita.
This post was originally submitted to BeBetsy from Vijitha of Spices and Aroma who was previously a contributing writer.