Spicy little homemade crackers.
- 1 1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated, room temperature
- 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese, grated, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried habanero chili flakes
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large metal cookie sheets with parchment paper, or use 3 non-greased pizza stones.
In a large bowl, add cheese and butter; beat with electric mixer until the cheese and butter are well blended. Stir in salt, onion powder, habanero flakes, nutmeg, cornmeal and flour; mix thoroughly by hand.
On a lightly floured cutting board, divide the dough in half. Roll each dough into equal rectangular shapes. Using a crinkle cutter or sharp knife, slice dough into cracker shapes and place on cookie sheets or pizza stones.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes on metal cookie sheets, and 15 minutes on pizza stones. Keep close watch, bottoms of crackers should be light brown. Transfer to cooling rack. Cool and store in airtight container.
Makes about 48 crackers.