A rich Italian eggplant spread
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 med-large eggplants, peeled and diced into 1 cm cubes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 medium onions, chopped finely
- 4 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 – 16 ounce cans petite diced (or crushed) tomatoes
- 1 & 1/2 ounces capers
- 1 – 6 ounce can black, pitted olives, drained and cut into half lengthways
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add eggplant, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring until all fully softened. Put aside in a bowl.
Heat the vinegar in a small pan and dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil and add to eggplant mixture.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add onion, celery, and salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring until soft.
Drain the canned tomatoes, reserving 3/4 cup of liquid. Add 2 cups of the tomatoes and the 3/4 cup of liquid to the onion and celery.
Add the capers and olives. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Add eggplant mixture and cook 5 more minutes or longer for a softer more spreadable result.
Let cool and jar.
Yield: 6 jars 1 & 1/2 cup size