I’m eating these as I’m writing this for you.
I have to say; they are one of the most beautiful, delicious concoctions I’ve ever made. The sad truth is I didn’t share them with anyone. Not a single person. Only yours truly had the opportunity to eat them. Oh, and I had leftovers the next day. I’m that confident in them that I didn’t even need a second opinion. These ROCK.
I made them yesterday when I was home alone, feeling a little down and needed to pour myself into what makes me feel better; my blog, my readers, and creating food. Oh, and thanks for the therapy you didn’t realize you give me.
However, I did share a picture of them with my close friend that is from South America and she told me (after I told her about my recipe) that it’s very reminiscent of true South American cuisine. I had no idea; nor was I shooting for that title. I just know that the shit was good. Like I can’t cuss enough to explain how good these are. I’m so bad, this I know.
Let me share with you how I came up with this amazing taco. Want to take a walk with me through my day? Of course you do.
So, I had this bowl of diced chicken from the night before, as well as some napa cabbage. Napa cabbage in a taco? I wondered the same thing; because you would usually think to use that with an Asian dish. Who cares. I think it sounds good.
So, yes. Napa cabbage it is. You never, ever put stereotypes or limits on your recipes. It will stifle you.
Remember that, kids. Don’t be stifled.
So, now at this point I notice half of a yellow onion that obviously was crying out to be used, and what is this? Jalapenos?
Me? Jalapenos? *teehee*
You all know me by now, don’t you?
- 1 head Napa cabbage, washed and shredded (I used my food processor)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 fresh jalapenos, washed and diced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 12 flour tortillas
- Combine cabbage, onion and jalapenos.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cilantro, mayo, sour cream and lime juice together. Stir in the cabbage mixture until mixed thoroughly and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Trim chicken of fat and dice; set aside.
- Combine cumin through oregano in a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan and add chicken.
- Add the cumin mixture, stir to combine and slowly add water. Reduce heat medium. Continue to toss chicken and saute until done; set aside. (If it doesn’t seem to be getting done pretty quickly kick the heat up a notch).
- With the pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp butter and when melted add one tortilla at a time until brown on one side, continuing with each tortilla, covering with aluminum foil as they’re done. Add butter as needed in between tortillas.
- With each tortilla, add about 2 tbsp chicken and top with about the same amount of slaw.
- Add hot sauce if you want it 😉
These are the first tacos in my life I completely enjoyed without needing every Mexican condiment known to man.
Well, and maybe a dash or of Cholula and a few more jalapeno slices.
This slaw will complete your life.