Healthy, Delicious Treat
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup old fashioned oats plus 3 T for sprinking
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 3/4 cups low fat milk, chilled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and coarse salt in a bowl. Add butter and mix with a pastry blender or fork until butter is worked into the mixture. Add oats and blueberries; stir to blend evenly.
3. Stir milk, applesauce, and vanilla in small bowl. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing until dough just comes together (dough will be very moist).
4. Drop dough in mounds onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Sprinkle tops with remaining 3 tablespoons oats.
5. Bake 15-17 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Transfer scones to rack and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Scones will keep in an airtight container for a week.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetite
Link here to my BeBetsy Blog post!