Another appetizer? With fruit? Hell yeah.
It’s summertime – that means grilling out, laying out by the pool and making the most out of berries. And listening to the kids complain about how bored they are.
That just means they need to get their asses outside and cut the grass.
So, just in time for 4th of July, I made a Blueberry Sweet Corn Bleu Cheese Salsa. Because I know you all want something new to make for your Independence Day throw-downs.
Does it have jalapenos in it? I’ll let you ponder on that for a second, but you know the answer.
It’s even color coordinated.
Red – Tomatoes * White – Corn/Bleu Cheese * Blue – Blueberries
- 2 ears sweet white corn
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz Bleu Cheese, crumbled
- Salt, only for preference (the cheese is salty, so taste it first!)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Carefully peel back corn husks to expose the corn and pull off all the silks. Re-cover the corn with its husks.
- Roast in oven 10 minutes on each side and remove. Let cool and slice off the corn using a knife and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine with the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve – it’s better after several hours!
The corn/blueberry combination is fantastic.
Not to mention the bleu cheese. It just adds an unexpected element that pulls the whole thing together.
We’ve been eating it with pita chips, but I can imagine this would be so good on grilled fish or chicken.
OR on a burger.
Oh, how I love food.