Make a big pot of hot satisfying black bean soup with your favorite salad, biscuit or corn bread concoction on the side and you have the perfect meal!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained – 15 ounce cans
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cups salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
In a Dutch oven heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic, stirring until onion begins to soften. Add chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add beans, water, salsa, red pepper flakes and salt.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
Ladle half of the soup into a food processor and puree. Pour the puree mixture back into the Dutch oven and stir into the remaining soup. It is now ready to serve!
Makes 4 servings of about 1 1/4 cup each.