Bakewell Tart is a British favorite and my grandmother often served this when I was growing up and I spent the summers in England with her. My grandmother was NO cook and her Bakewell Tart came out of a box. I believe it was 6 small rectangles regardless of which brand she bought. Nowadays I make it myself and being fresh from the oven I simply cannot say “it was just like grandmother’s”!
- 1 shallow dish 9” pie crust, uncooked, frozen
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon almond essence
- 4 ounces ground almonds
- 1 ounce flour
- Sliced almonds to decorate
- Spread raspberry jam in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and almond essence. Mix well.
- Add ground almonds and flour. Mix well.
- Spread on top of jam.
- Decorate with sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until firm and lightly browned.