Have you ever tried Ujjayi breathing?
Ujjayi, (pronounced oo-jai), breathing is a yogic deep breathing technique where inhalation and exhalation is done through the nose. This type of breathing helps increase the amount of oxygen in your blood helping you feel energized.
It also helps to focus your mind and increase the feeling of calm and peace. This breathing technique may also be used to lower your blood pressure and alleviate stress!
To practice Ujjayi breathing start with your mouth open. Inhale deeply feeling your diaphragm rise, then exhale slowly as if you are trying to fog up glass. Feel the sensation against the back of your throat? Try again, but this time on the inhale, constrict your throat the same way you did on your exhale.
Your breath on both the inhale an exhale should pass the back of your throat making a hissing sound. Now try it with your mouth closed. Try this 3 or 4 times, slowly. Can you feel yourself relaxing?
Ujjayi breathing is normally used during the practice of yoga. However, it can be very beneficial in everyday situations. Next time you feel stressed, anxious or have trouble falling asleep, take a few Ujjayi breaths.
Ahhh! Much better!
More great ideas!
- Retro Outdoor Time Important for Kids
- Prevention is King | 5 Tips for Fall Wellness
- Stress Busters | 5 Simple Steps to a Healthier You
- Mr. Sun Does Your Dirty Work!
- Inspiration, Love and Determination
- Obesity | Family Solutions to Combat the Problem
- Go Red | Draw The Line On Heart Disease
- Ideas and Inspiration for the Kitchen